History of Sosnogorsk
The town emerged from two settlements - one inhabited by railway men and the other by gas workers, in 1939, one community emerged at the Izhma railway station.
In 1944, it obtained the status of a workers' community. The second community appeared in the late 1940s in connection with the construction of a carbon black plant. In 1955, the Izhma workers' community was transformed into the town of Izhma and two years later was renamed as Sosnogorsk. In 1979, it became the administrative center of the Sosnogorsk area, and separate from the Ukhta area. Since 1989, it has been a town under the jurisdiction of the republic. Apart from industrial enterprises, there are 2 agricultural colleges, 6 secondary schools, 2 musical schools, a children's house, 20 children's pre-schools, 2 cultural centers, 17 libraries, 2 stadiums, a sports complex, a museum and a sanatorium. Religious institutions include the Church of Seraphim of Sarov, which was opened after Perestroika. Among the monuments, there is a memorial cross to the victims of repression.
Города моей Республики: рек. памятка для школьников / Нац. дет. б-ка им. С. Я. Маршака. – Сыктывкар: «Миян Кыв», 2002. – 43 с.
Республика Коми: путеводитель / сост. С. Журавлев. – Изд. первое. – М.: Авангард, 2004. – С. 145-147.